Thai Mix Veggie Stir-Fry
2 tbsp vegetable oil
4-5 cloves of garlic, crushed and minced
1/2 inch ginger minced
2 green onions, green part sliced diagonally and white part cubed
5 shitake mushrooms (preferably)/ or 7-8 button mushrooms if easily available
1 large tomato cut into medium wedges
a medium head of broccoli, divided into small florets
1/2 green capsicum-cut into small cubes
1 red bell pepper cut into cubes
7-8 string beans- cut into 1 inch pieces (blanched)
1/2 tbsp soya sauce
1 and 1/2 tbsp of oyster sauce (for vegetarian option read TIP at the end)
1/2 tsp of brown sugar
a pinch of pepper powder and salt (because the sauces have enough salt already)
a couple of tbsp water or more as needed
garnish: a handful of roasted and crushed peanuts.
- Heat oil in a big wok or a kadai at high heat.
- Add garlic, ginger and the white of the onion.
- When the garlic gets fragrant (not brown) and the onion slightly transparent, add the mushrooms and stir fry on high heat for 30 seconds.
- Now add the rest of the veggies in this order-broccoli, beans, capsicum, bell pepper and tomato, and the greens of the onion- making sure to give each vegetable 15 seconds of frying before adding the other...
- Add the oyster sauce, and the soya sauce, brown sugar a bit of water.
- Make sure not to over cook because the vegetables should have a nice crunch to them
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Garnish with peanuts and serve immediately...accompanied with either steamed rice or noodles.
Try and use a biggish wok because you dont want to crowd the vegetables when they are being stir fried, and also the heat should be high, and keep stirring them while cooking.
NEVER over cook the veggies in a stir fry because they need to have a crunch to them and always always add salt at the end because that makes the veggies soggy very quickly!
The Oyster sauce is important in this stir fry because its smokey, earthy taste takes the flavor to another level , so I would highly recommend it.... but you can't use it if you are a vegetarian....so you can either use the oyster mushroom sauce or hoisin sauce and mayb add a bit of barbecue sauce to increase the smoky flavor.