Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Knife Oil Painting update... and its up already!

Ok this is one of those themes that was on my mind but I just wasnt getting down to it...
The dynamic fluid movements of a Flamenco dancer but not "photo-finished" and perfect, if you know what I mean?
all random, fluid colors and movement but no definite face and form...
And I wanted it BIG...
something on the lines of at least 5 feet, so that it could fit snugly above my big-black sofa!
haha... thats the best part about painting for your own home... you can get exactly what you envision!

So I first had a frame made... stretched and stapled the canvas on it...
gave it a wash of Fevicol and water and let it dry....
and then got started with the sketch...
Sketched the dancer with burnt sienna diluted with turpentine, sketched, erased with a dry cloth, then drew again, till I got the form, movement, and the size of the dancer just right!



Finally made this one slightly bigger than the sketch given above...
Filled in the background and the shadows with diluted color (diluted with turpentine becoz it dries faster)
added white where I thought I would be putting in the highlights.
Dont worry- you can keep changing as you keep painting- thats the beauty of oil painting!


Next I started mixing a bit of linseed into the colors as I was starting on blocking the colors of the background... 
where I thought I would be putting say "shades of blues/yellows" or blacks etc.
Linseed oil becoz it gives the colors a sheen and takes longer to dry, so I can keep blending colors.  



Kept adding more colors till I got the base of the painting in just the right colors....




Some more yellows and deeper blues with vibrant reds....
So the painting is coming along nicely....


And now the fun part...
Layering on thick colors with different palette knives- bringing out the flowing shawl and the dress...


A close up.....


The vibrant background



and here she is...
dancing, moving, fluid....
I think I am quite happy with it! :-)



Aaaaand its up!!
In its full glory....


and even at the risk of repeating myself... 
I.Am.Loving.It!!


and just for you all... 
here is a peek at the rest of the living room...



9 comments:

  1. it is awesome maryam.. :) i love the painting and also how well you've done up the house..!! it all looks truly amazing..!!! when is it going to be my turn.. ????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work! very well displayed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing....... Just awesome, truly loving it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an amazing painting. Love the passion and the movement in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOWOWOWO that is beautiful .. WOWOW.. you could make a business of it .. really I would buy one and i am sure many others would

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats a stunner, Maryam! Loved the intensity and feeling of powerful movement in this painting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...