Monday, October 27, 2014

Tuesday Tour: of the flora and fauna of my garden in the Deserts...


Top post on IndiBlogger.in, the community of Indian Bloggers


Been in the deserts for nearly one and a half years and have been allotted a house with a garden for a little over a year now....
The garden wasn't actually all that well planned when we initially got it... no landscaping except for the border flower beds around the garden which had no flowers to speak of...
randomly placed trees- dunno why....probably to provide shade in the immense heat of the summer... but having a big bougainvillea and a neem tree bang in the centre of the garden?
I didnt really mind becoz I dont ever follow the straight path... but my Army husband's sense of proportion and straight, tried and tested design sensibility was offended!
But we didnt want to uproot it becoz it was the only thing providing a bright fuchsia color to the otherwise barren garden.
And then a huge sandstorm hit us one day and did the deed...
the big offending bougainvillea tree was uprooted!
So we quickly filled the gap with grass- and all was normal and in line with my dear husband's Regimental world again!
The other thorn in the eye was the Neem tree, the base of which I surrounded with lilies (which though did not flower the full year) but gave a nice leafy base....
planted a few hybrid poppies too at the base of the neem tree to give it color.
Added a bright red Bird house and my neem tree finally got accepted!
Now its a haven for the feeding birds-chirping every morning perched on the tree house!
here is a peek into the birdhouse earlier and after being painted a bright red.






.......and my daily morning visitor on the neem tree, the proud chameleon who suns himself every morning.
I have even painted the colorful one (here)!



My garden is divided into two parts because the driveway is in the middle.
At the entry to both sides to the garden, I added wrought iron gates over which I grew a morning glory climber that grew lush in no time and gave out pretty purple flowers through out the year!



You can see my boys' little machaan peeking through the ivy covered gate, where they play most evenings... sometimes Pirates and sometimes Chor Police!

A look at a couple of more cute and whimsical bird houses that I have scattered around the greens...
the first one (the yellow one) is a double story bird house!




This is one of the many little nests that I stumble upon every so often...


A look at some lush green corners around the house.



My occasional visitors when the flowers are in full bloom!
Pretty butterflies!!





And drum-rolls please.... the one feature of my little garden that I am extremely proud of!
A small lily pond that in this one and a half year has flourished and grown lush with beautiful flowers and lots of frogs for company...
I have surrounded it with a lot of whimsical, colorful little objects that, I feel, have added to the magic of this tiny haven with the musical gurgling sound of the small earthy fountain.
I love curling up here with a book many a morning or getting out my watercolor sketchpad and letting my inspiration take over....






the many little frogs that have made the tiny pond thier home...


another shy one peeking out!


and now a few pictures of the central beauty of my lily pond...




and so the tour ends...
I hope you like this little green oasis that I have managed to create in the arid land of the deserts...
I will definitely be putting up a post on "how to make a little lily pond with a small DIY fountain" soon, so that you can also create something similar or take it as an inspiration to make one of your own.
To have a look at some beautiful flowers that I had last spring in my garden please click (here)
and I end this post of my wonderful flora and fauna with my two boys' two little buddies...
named "Flight" and "BunnyHopper"




Images: copyright- DAL DONUTS and DOODLES and please do not reuse without written permission.

13 comments:

  1. You have an awesome garden ! Great pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is surreal- straight out a fairy tale.. I really envied your bird house b'coz mine is still awaiting its first guest. I have planted bougainville from the top of the terrace so that they get some support to sneak in. Its difficult for them as the bird house unfortunately does not have trees around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a sweet compliment- thank you.
      try and keep a birdfeeder + water container next to yr birdhouse (much like I have the earthen ones by the birdhouses and the birds will come flocking)

      Delete
    2. ok, thanks for the useful tip

      Delete
  3. wow...kudos to you for creating your little piece of Eden , in the midst of a desert !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Sweety- I think we fauji wives develop a knack for creating heaven wherever we are sent!

      Delete
  4. You have a beautiful garden..very inspirational..I envy you, I have a terrace this time, and no garden ��...but you have done it really very well...kudos to you!��

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beautiful garden marro. i am missing out on quite a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...