Friday, June 27, 2014

Friday Foodie!! Healthy Baked (not fried) General Tso's Chicken

Top post on IndiBlogger.in, the community of Indian Bloggers


Hey everyone... sorry about the regular disappearing acts that I do these days...
I am finding it increasingly difficult to manage work, my blog, my duties as an Army wife and a frazzled mom to kids who have thier summer break!! (school starts within a week, yaaaayyyy!!)
And now that Ramadan is going to start, I might again become a little irregular with my posts...
Time management is a big thing for a "work at home mom" and though I thrive on multi-tasking, I still have a long way to go to have my routine in a set time-frame....
Am getting there, by and by....

Anyways- enough of rambling, the recipe that I am going to be giving you today is my favorite...
Chinese Food is any day my favorite, but this one especially gets me licking my fingers after each morsel...  If I could, I would have it daily!!
Only problem is you cant have most chinese food everyday because of the deep frying involved...
So...
I thought why not bake it and fake it, instead of deep frying? 
And do you remember the crispiness of my home-made KFC chicken recipe (click here) with the juicy meat and crispyness outside because of the cornflakes covering...
Well, I have used the same coating, and believe me- its come out finger-lickin' good... minus the fat!
so here goes...


HEALTHY BAKED GENERAL TSO's CHICKEN
oh and before you ask... why the name "General Tso"? 
I searched the internet and the Wikipedia and there seems to be no definite reason for naming the dish after a Chinese General... and surprise- its seems to have originated in the United States and that also in mayb in NYC!!!  (a detailed article here)
Go figure!

Ingredients for the Chicken:
1/2 kg boneless chicken, cut in cubes, (marinated in just one tsp of vinegar and a dash of salt and pepper for an hour)
3 tbsp Maida or all purpose flour
2 eggs- well beaten
1and 1/2 cop crushed cornflakes 
ONLY a tbsp oil for greasing the tray or if you are using a cooking spray like me... all the better

Ingredients for the sauce
1 and 1/2 cup chicken stock or water
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp soya sauce
3 tbsp hoisin sauce (or if not available-8 and 8 sauce-like me)
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp cornflour

For the garnish
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
1/3 cup finely chopped green of the spring onions

Method:

1- Preheat the oven at 200C. Take a baking tray or a cookie tray, cover it with foil, and grease it lightly
or spray with olive oil cooking spray.
2- take the beaten eggs in one bowl, maida/flour in a flat plate, and cornflakes in another.
3- Take a piece of chicken, dredge in the flour, shake off the loose flour, dip in the egg, roll in the cornflakes so that its well covered with crushed cornflakes, and then lay it on the baking tray.
4- Do that with the rest of the chicken pieces and lay them spread out on the greased baking tray.
5- Spray it once more with cooking spray and put in the oven.
6- Bake at 200C for 15 minutes... and if not yet crispy golden, bake for another 5 minutes...
Leave in the oven to keep warm.

7- For the sauce- take all the ingredients, along with cornflour dissolved in water, in saucepan and simmer on low heat, till slightly thick.... about 3 minutes.
8- Take out the crispy chicken from the oven and pour the sauce on top
Mix gently to coat all the chicken pieces.
9- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and spring onion greens... and serve at once!
Enjoy!!
Believe me you will be licking your fingers!!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...