Thursday, November 7, 2013

Thursday Thought with a watercolor

Last few days I have been dabbling with watercolors whenever I could steal a moment from the digital world of illustration...
Yes, the ease and the forgiving nature of digital illustration has spoilt me, and you can even give texture to your illustrations to give them the water color feel...
now what more do you want?
But believe me when I say that if you can get the hang of watercolor- which is one the most difficult mediums to master..(too much color- it gets muddy, too little- it looks washed out, with not enough depth, and one wrong stroke- the illustration is gone... kaput! you cant get it back!)
If you've got it right, then you are out there!! You are Good!!
If you've understood the intricacies of watercolors, you can work in any medium... its that important.
but it takes a lot of hard work... lots of papers/sketchbooks to be spoilt, again and yet again!
but there is no comparison to the luminosity and the beauty of watercolor...
The flow, the transparency, the merging of colors which you just cannot predict, make watercolor a very exciting medium to work with.
I was never very great at watercolors- I preferred pencils and oils, acrylic to watercolors..
I think I was/am too impatient- didnt want to give it my all... so only dabbled in watercolors when required...
But since giving myself the challenge of coming up with one illustration per day...
it has egged me on! Now I am not afraid to give watercolors the attention it deserves!
Believe me...challenging yourself is the best way to improve, to improvise, to come up with something new, think out of the box...
its exhilarating!
so here is my somewhat serious attempts at watercolors after a reeeeaaaallly long time....
(I don't consider my fashion illustrations as serious watercolors- go figure!)







and now for today's Thought for the day....


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...