Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Tuesday Technique: a random abstract painting with texture!

Continuing with my Tuesdays of Technique (of giving gyan or knowledge) about the few things I know, today's post is about oil painting...
Now this is for a lot of people I know, who want to paint, have the burning desire to dip thier brushes in the rich glossy tubes of paint and get started on a canvas of thier own...
but just dont know how to get started...
Or are too scared- what if I go wrong? how do I backtrack then?
what kind of painting should I start with...
should I copy or should I make my own masterpiece?
Now my suggestions is (for all the newbies out there)... its ok to copy, esp. for the first time!
As long as you are not selling it or claiming it to be your own, you can copy a great master's work or even some fantastic painting that you downloaded from the internet....
after all you can only learn from it and having a ready reference is a great way to do it!
Because making your own masterpiece with the blank canvas staring back at you can be extremely daunting...
and not everyone knows that oils can be extremely forgiving... you can make- erase, paint again- erase...
dont like how the painting has turned out... or bored with it?
paint over it...
but we can get to all of that by and by...
i'll tell you about a simple abstract first.


Now I wanted to make a heavily textured painting but I didnt want to use a lot of paint...
I didnt know what my subject was going to be or what the end result was going to look like...
I just had a lot of old oil paints that had been lying with me for around 3-4 years (yes thats how long its been- or mayb even longer, that I have done oils)
So anyways, this is how I started- with no plan in mind- just wanted to paint...
now thats not exactly how I would advice a newbie to work- you might want to have a reference starting point...

To get started:

Either get a readymade frame from the Art shop or like me- have it made by the local carpenter to the size that you want... but for that you need a roll of treated canvas (again bought from the Art shop)
I had a 5 metre roll of treated canvas lying around- but for the first timers its advisable to buy a ready made canvas.



The canvas roll has been stapled onto the frame.


This is the material that you need to add texture to the canvas...
Fevicol (or any white glue like Mod Podge) diluted in water, a 2 inch paintbrush, and lots of toilet roll or tissue.



here is what you do- hold the tissue onto the canvas...

add the diluted Glue straight onto the paper so it sticks to the canvas...


Keep adding more..make sure that they have wrinkles, and are bunched up in places..


This is how it looks while drying in the sun....


a close up!


The materials needed...

Turpentine oil, linseed oil, old ragged apron- oil paints, and brushes of assorted sizes...2,4.6,8. some 2" to 3" ones as well and a thin brush of 0 number.
Lots of kerosene oil to clean the brushes.
and lots and lots of rags...
maybe a palette knife to add texture or mayb use an old credit card like I did!

cover yr workspace with newspaper- coz believe me oils can get messy and remember to wear yr apron and some old clothes. (I tend to wipe my brushes on my old pajamas...yeah I know!!)


Add the basic colors with turpentine mixed with linseed.
Ok a tip:  initial drawings or laying of colors helps dry faster if mixed with just turpentine.
but linseed makes the colors dry slowly and adds a nice shine, so I use linseed or paint straight from the tube when I am laying paint on the canvas in the last layer...
And believe me u are going to work in layers...
Sometimes you wait for one layer to dry completely esp before adding details, while some you let dry for mayb a day so the colors kind of blend in, when you add the next layer.
dont worry you will get the rhythm...


a little more detailing....adding some whites and the red circular strokes...


Then later I added a kind of horizon to my glowing sun... :-)


Started adding some thicker colors with my card...



just go with the flow...make a few scratches on the wet paint too...


some more scratches on the wet and thick white color.


some more circular strokes with the card and darker colors


some more details with the white paint and the card...


and here is how it looks...

Ok another tip: when you are doing yr own thing (not copying) aaand you are doing a kind of an abstract...
you sometimes dont know when to stop- you can keep doing it... keep adding more elements, textures...
so you MUST keep stepping back a couple of steps at each stage and see when the painting has had enough...
and STOP!!



And then after stepping bk and STOPPING... i decided I wanted to add a few more swirls in white
and that too of the acylic paint that was waiting for me in the garage (left over from painting the door)
Added the swirls and some drops of think white acrylic paint...
and voila!!


So how did you like it?
inspired enough to start painting your own masterpiece soon?
why not tomorrow?
in case there are some queries, feel free to ask.
and for any confusion or any step that is not clear... I am here to help..
So what are you waiting for?  Get going!!

6 comments:

  1. this is gr8t maryam apa saman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you saman- good you have started visiting the blog! :-)

      Delete
  2. btw .. how did you add the swirls..??? m getting really tempted to do my own canvas.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just take the normal acrylic paint that u get in the hardware store... dip yr brush in and swirl the brush over the canvas...it drips onto the canvas following yr hand movements. its fun- you must try it!
      and as it is u wanted me to make something for u- why not try for yrself?

      Delete
  3. Ammmmazing! I will definitely try out this one. Thank you Maryam :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...