Tuesday, August 13, 2013

ugh.... the packing n the unpacking!!




There was a time when I wasn't interested in marrying into the army… at all!!
Had absolutely no idea of what the army life was all about...
had a wonderful career as an animator, a fantastic set of friends and grooving social life, and I loved living in big cities…Chennai, Delhi, Bangalore or even Lucknow for that matter!
The malls,  the movies, the shopping, the nightlife was what drew me then…
and now on hindsight.... I also think- the stability and routine of civil life…
Because more than the idea of giving up my thriving career that I had worked so hard at achieving (if I married an army man), just the idea of uprooting myself every two years, many a times in just 3-6 months was horrifying to say the least!!!
I wanted to put down my roots- have a sweet little home, a steady job, have my kids go to just one school from KG to 12th- have a nice little routine in place…
So, in other words- a comfortable, boring, stagnant life (hahaha!! I know all my friends in the civil world are going to kill me for this)
but believe me "stagnant" is not a word that exists in the Army…
The Army doesnt believe in letting you collect so much water in one area to stagnate! :-)

Every posting is a new adventure! 
Every station a new place to explore, with its own unique USP, 
Every cantonment is filled with the possibilities of new friends…
But I didn't know it then, and of course didn't want it back then…
and then FATE intervened!
I fell in love…
(though believe me it was a completely arranged match with both of us nearly getting married to somebody else-but then thats a nice li'l story for another day)  :-)
and so there I was, in love and willing to give up and risk everything for just THAT particular man in uniform…
and now I think I was made for the Army life!
after a few initial hiccups of the new environment, the rigidity or you can say the customs and protocol of the organization (that need some getting used to) and my continuous foot in my mouth syndrome (I could never say the right thing-still cant!)… 
I took to this new life like a duck to water!
Oh it has its drawbacks, too many to list…
but the cons are equally balanced by the pros…
And though it sound a bit wierd, (dont u guys laugh) can you believe that with every new move, what is one of the things (other than the place n the weather) that excites me and gets me dreaming and building castles in the air?
Its what kind of a house will I be getting this time around?
will it have a balcony?
or will it have a teeny tiny garden or maybe a big enough lawn with the possibility of a vegetable garden?
or will I be able to have a nice porch where I can read a book on a swing, display my knick knacks and hanging pots…
how will I do up the kids room this time?
And though the cantonment houses are generally made in the same specifications, none of my numerous homes in the decade long marriage have ever looked the same!
there is always the challenge of displaying things differently, arrangement of furniture and curios, change of curtains, lamps etc that gives a feel of moving into a new house everytime!
And this time around was no different…
This house is smaller than what I expected, with a tinier garden that what a CO who is going to do a lot of entertaining requires, but never mind!!
It is the corner-most, independent house with a half grown garden that the monsoon rains are trying to make green and lush again...
But the best part is that it has a cubby hole of a study that I have bullied my husband into giving me to make my studio (overlooking the garden)     Oh Yeeeeaaaaahh!!
after all he just has to sign a few files every evening…
I have to draw, paint, do a bit of crafting, work on the computer…listen to music...
need my space!
after spending the last two years in NYC, working hard from the dining table, I am super excited on having my own little space!
and believe me I have opened all my paints, pastels, canvases and my collection of books and every little thing that could inspire me to get going!!
Had also collected a lot of inspirational ideas from the internet for doing up my study/studio… 
have a peek!








Arent they all just amazing studies/studios?? oh how I wish.....

Lets see what its going to end up looking like, once I am finished with it coz u cant do much with the ugly furniture that u are given with the house…
will keep u posted!  


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...