Sunday, August 18, 2013

Sunday Treat- Healthy Whole Wheat Pancakes!

Since we moved back to India 6-7 months back, me n my kids have been living in guest rooms, out of suitcases and missing home cooked food like crazy!
but more than that, they were missing the pancakes and the waffles and the strawberries, blueberries and maple syrup... which was a staple weekend breakfast for us there...
So as soon as we got the house my boys started hankering after me to make pancakes.
Finally this weekend I relented and tried home made pancakes from scratch for the first time...
(back in the US I used to cheat-premade pancake mix was what I used and sometimes even frozen!)
But believe me this version is sooooo much healthier and extremely easy to make, esp for my kids who hate cottage cheese(paneer) in normal Indian dishes.




this recipe will make about 8-10 medium sized pancakes.
 Ingredients:
2 cups cottage cheese
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
5 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence.
2 tbsp sugar
cooking spray/ or butter on nonstick dosa tawa 

Directions:
1- Combine cottage cheese, eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla essence in a mixie/ blender and blend well.
2- In the meantime sieve together the whole wheat flour and baking powder.
3- In a large bowl combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
4- Heat a large non stick tawa/skillet over medium heat and coat with cooking spray or butter.
5- Pour about 1/3 cupfuls of the batter onto the skillet and cook until the bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula and cook until evenly browned on the other side.

Serve with thinly sliced bananas and strawberries, topped with whipped cream and drizzled with maple syrup.
I had no maple syrup but my kids love honey on pancakes(which is healthier) but missed the strawberries, and got only bananas...
You can also sprinkle nuts on top for a bit of crunch or even add chocochips in the batter for a different taste.
Twist the recipe anyway u want... you cant go wrong!

For more tried and tasted and slurped over recipes- please click here

2 comments:

  1. Hi maryam! Just checked ur blog and I must say that i am really impressed with what ur r doing. I like ur style of illustrations and articles. Will look forward to see more. Keep it up:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Areena- so good to hear from you! its been such a long time... n am glad that u liked the blog.
      Hope to see u here more often! :-)
      but do keep in touch now
      take care!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...