Friday, August 23, 2013

Friday Food for d Soul... Spicy Crispy Fried Chicken!



Doesnt this look Yummy?
Now the story in our neck of woods is that where we live, we dont have a KFC, or a McDonalds or a Pizza Hut, or any of the junk food chains that my kids are so fond of...
who am I kidding?  I love junk food too- who doesnt?
and once in a while I convince myself that I have lost a few milligrams off my weight, so I can indulge...
So mamma dear has to improvise and make KFC style fried chicken at home!
and believe me it always comes out delicious!
this time I thought I'd share the recipe with you. (its a mish-mash of a lotta internet versions)
Now in the West- they marinate the chicken in buttermilk(chaj) for a few hours or overnight.
I use curd!
And my Chicken is a mix of Southern type of Fried Chicken to also being inspired by Paula Deen's version where she uses self raising flour-( I use a bit of baking powder) to adding crunchy cornflakes in the end
(we faujis get a lotta cornflakes in the monthly ration!)  :-D

So here it is:

Ingredients-

for the mariande:
I cup sour yoghurt(not fresh)
juice of one lemon
salt and pepper to taste-(dont use less- coz u will be throwing away the marinade)
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste (you dont use it in western cooking but I put it in most of my dishes)
1 tbsp chilli powder or paprika if you have
1 1/2 Kg Chicken cut in decent sized pieces (the pieces should not be too big coz then they might remain uncooked inside the coating)
Marinate the chicken in a ziplock pouch, so its sealed inside and leave in the fridge overnight.




Next morning or half an hour before cooking, in one bowl mix:
2 cups all purpose flour
some garlic powder-(if you dont have it-thats alright...I just like a bit more of the garlicky flavor)
1 tbsp white pepper powder
1 tsp baking powder
paprika powder or you can just give the ration (whole) chillies a whirl in the mixie
Put this entire concoction in a plastic bag.

Second bowl mix:
3 eggs
1/2 cup grated cheese ( I used the fauji ration Amul Cheese- but if u can use any other flavorful spicy cheese like Pepper Jack)
a bit of salt and pepper
a dash of red chilly sauce- the color of the liquid should become nice n orange!

Third plate:
a plate full of crushed cornflakes... keep adding as they get finished.



Now just take the chicken pieces out of the fridge- let it come to room temperature.
Remove the pieces from the marinade and discard the marinade.
Then dip one or two chicken pieces into the bag of dry ingredients ( the flour concoction), shake the bag to coat the chicken pieces well. and lay them out on a wire rack.



While the chicken pieces are being coated, please have a frying pan with oil at the ready...
Once the flour adheres to the chicken, dip the piece in the bowl having the egg mixture, and then rolling it in the cornflakes.



Heat the oil well, and then lower the gas to medium heat and start putting the chicken pieces one by one into the hot oil.
Dont crowd the frying pan too much. 
Fry the chicken pieces 4-6 minutes on each side till nicely golden brown and the juices run clear.
Drain on paper towels and serve hot with tomato sauce, a fresh salad and creamed potatoes.
Pssst- you can even add a bit of chaat masala for more zing!




ENJOY!!




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...