Saturday, July 30, 2011

Age of innocence


Yesterday when I was walking my son back home from his karate classes he told me that he wants to be a rapper.....
"a WHAT????" I asked baffled (just months back when in India he hadnt even known what a rap song was....and here he was just four months old in the U.S. and he wants to be a rapper!!)
After a lot of prodding he says that he is inspired by a serial he sees on cartoon network where the main character is a boy in a yellow shirt who raps and dances very well...
"Why?" I finally ask him
and he says that the rapper's life seems a lot of fun...
"But my dad will not let me-he says i have to be in the army"
"But I have never heard him say you have to be-its just an option for you-nothing will be forced on you"
"But life in the army is no fun!!"
"So you think a rapper's life is going to fun?"
"He gets to dance and sing all day long...so of course it will be fun, so can I be a rapper...please please please?"
"You can be whatever you want to be darling" I reply with a deep sigh....
"And my favourite color is no longer purple (the king's color-so his fav. color)....its changed"
"Let me guess-its yellow like your favorite rapper's?"
And he nodded happily and walked on....



since the time we have come to this new world...I think he may have changed his future profession a zillion times...
After discovering dinosaurs-he wanted to be a paleontologist...
After learning to make a superb salami sandwich for himself-he wanted to be a cook!
After taking a few music classes is his new school-he wanted to be a musician....
After taking karate classes-he wants to be a professional fighter- a ninja!!
I can go on and on and on...
Its this time of innocence which is so appealing..the time when you feel the world is your oyster...
you can be whatever you can dream to be....
you are not scared....the practicalities have not hit you-everything seems possible!
I remember wanting to form a singing band for myself...with all my best friends in it and I even remember the name...Pink Flamingoes! (dont you dare laugh!)
Do any of my childhood friends even remember? I recall sharing this dream with a few very close friends and we used to discuss the dresses that the band would wear...and the look...
I used to practice singing on Madonna and Wham numbers for hours and hours...
I still remember all the lyrics of those songs and they still have the power to make me nostalgic every time I hear them...much to my husband's amusement!
I had wanted to be a renowned artist...a famous fashion designer...an author of mystery novels (some of my friends still remember my stories) and my dad had wanted me to be doctor!!!
None of our dreams came true and not for the want of trying...
Life had a lot of other surprises for us and with time our dreams changed, priorities changed and one learned to go with flow...
still dream of doing a lot of things even though nearly half my life is over, but I still try hard to make even a fraction of them come true...

...Dreaming is half the battle won...so keep dreaming people......and do share some of them with me...

8 comments:

  1. this is so true marro , even gaura's profession keeps changing from scientist to story teller to dancer etc etc , u have weaved it so beautifully . u r right v still have an endless list of things v want to do before v die .. i pray to god every body's dreams r fulfilled .. love u tc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thewallstories...yes i know shallu...its our job to keep dreaming...and god's will to make them come true!

      Delete
  2. my little nanu.. so cute... :) Faisal bhai ka khauf... ha ha ha .... but my.. in four months so many professions...!!! last i spoke to u he was still on paleontologist.. and seriously maryam..Pink flamingos..??? lol... i do remember your little books of lyrics and how you used to lip sync...!! i was always in awe when u'd sing along... it was so cool.. my cool sister...!!! your dream of fashion designer i remember... u were always sketching...!!
    i know i always wanted to be a model.. :) loved dressing up and looking pretty but mainly wanted to be rich and famous..!! : ) a big hug to nanu.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. saffu-pink flamingoes was a secret...very few frenz knew about it :-)
      so dont you laugh...and yr dreams did come true..you got to dress up and see the world.hahaha!!

      Delete
  3. When he comes back I think I'll bring him to gorakhpur. Then he can also think of becoming a farmer, a golfer, a shikari... mmmuuuaaahhh to Nanu & waichu!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nusrat-i am sure he will want to become all that you said...abhi yeh sab karna chahte hain!!

      Delete
  4. i remember maryam.....each and every of our silly dreams!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. taz...hahahaha!! you remember??? love u for that!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...